[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/7151 Hero Formations:

James Paige Bob at HamsterRepublic.com
Wed May 13 13:56:33 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 13 May 2015 at 09:44, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>
>> james
>> 2015-05-12 14:44:51 -0700 (Tue, 12 May 2015)
>> 209
>> Hero Formations:
>> You can now move the positions of heroes in battle.
>> Changing the default works, but there is not yet support for changing
>> this on a formation-by-formation basis
>> Adds a new lump, heroform.reld
>> ---
>> U   wip/bmod.rbas
>> U   wip/loading.bi
>> U   wip/loading.rbas
>> A   wip/ohrhelp/hero_formation_editor.txt
>> A   wip/ohrhelp/hero_formation_editor_placement.txt
>> U   wip/subs.rbas
>> U   wip/udts.bi
>>

> Well, is that isn't just fantastic.
> One think I notice is that unlike enemies, there's no limit to placing
> heroes offscreen... though actually I can think of legitimate uses for
> that, like a first person view.
>
> And plans to add facing direction to heroes and enemies?

Yes, I have been thinking about that.

I want to have the ability to make heroes and enemies change direction in
battle to face the target they are attacking. This will have to be off by
default so it doesn't mess up enemies targeting other enemies in existing
games.

Most of the work in implementing that is to adjust the attack and attacker
animations to support it.

Then I want to make it so that you can apply attack bonuses for attacking a
target that is not facing you.

Then I will make it so that both Enemies and Heroes have the option of
appearing backwards in formations.

I am not sure what my timetable is on all of that, I just wanted to rush
out this minimal early implementation because I know of a game or two that
would benefit from it for purely cosmetic reasons.

I didn't check, but hero positions are defined in terms of the centre
> bottom edge of their sprite I hope, right?

Yes, exactly.

Bottom center of the hero sprite, positioned relative to the "hero area",
which is currently hard-coded, but could be moved in the future.