[Ohrrpgce] .dmg format for Distribute Game on Mac

James Paige Bob at HamsterRepublic.com
Mon Jul 6 15:01:58 PDT 2015

I just discovered/remembered something really nifty.

So the reason we went with .tar.gz on Mac was because we couldn't figure
out how to create .dmg files.

.dmg files are normally Disk images formatted as HSF+ and although tools
for formatting as HSF+ exist on Windows and Linux, we could not find any
good simple ones that we could redistribute.

Turns out that the important thing about a .dmg file is that it is a disk
image. HFS+ happens to be the preffered format, but any format supported by
Macs should work.

In particular, .iso works.

I tried building a .iso image, renamed it to .dmg, and my Mac was able to
open it smoothly with no problems at all.

Tools to generate .iso images are far more ubiquitous, so maybe we can find
one that we can redistribute and we can use it to build .dmg files directly
from the Export Games menu :)