[Ohrrpgce] ScrunchSlice idea

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 22:37:49 PST 2014

Slices already transform all their children: they translate their
positions and apply clipping. So the plan was not to have a separate
ScaleSlice, but to allow all slices to scale and rotate their children
(including their positions).

It seems useful to have a "do not scale" bit on slices, which causes
scaling transformations on ancestor slices to only affect position
rather than scale, like ScrunchSlice. For example you could place some
non-scaling icons on the map and then zoom out the map.

Does ScrunchSlice have any uses aside from working around the lack of
floating point support in scripts? I suppose my suggestion is to
implement general scaling instead, but force all slices to have "do
not scale" always on, until scaling of sprites and MapSlices is
implemented. But maybe this will makes the implementation more
difficult. Also long term I would want all slices to default to
do-not-scale off.

(And I think we need to allow subpixel placement of
walkabouts/walkabout slices anyway, to allow a wide range of movement
speeds at higher frame rates)