[Ohrrpgce] ScrunchSlice idea

James Paige Bob at HamsterRepublic.com
Tue Feb 11 21:04:39 PST 2014

The other day we were talking in IRC a bit about fps, and I mentioned that
I had problems with my experiments at doubling the fps

When I double the fps, that screws up pixel-based movement speeds. For
example, in my sidescroller's scripting, there are many objects that move
at a speed of 3 pixels per tick, or 5 pixels per tick. If the fps is
doubled, the tick length is halved, and so to keep the movements the same,
I have to halve the movement speeds.

However, we can only have integers in plotscripting right now, so I can't
do speeds of 1.5 or 2.5

I got to thinking, and I imagined a ScruchSlice

The ScrunchSlice would be like a ContainerSlice, but it would have the
added property of modifier for x and y coordinates of its immediate
children.

For example, if I made a ScrunchSlice with a modifier of 2, and set it to
fill the screen, it would behave as if it was 640x400 instead of 320x200.
This would (with appropriate scripting) be a way of easily simulating
sub-pixel resolution. The actual ScreenX and ScreenY of the child slices
would be rounded to the nearest pixel.

This would be very handy for my own game, but before I implement it as a
built-in feature I want to discuss it, because I would not want it to
interfere with any other plans.

I imagine that at some point in the future we might be fancy enough to have
a ScaleSlice that actually transforms not just the position, but also the
size of its children and grandchildren, so that is why I would name this
slice a ScrunchSlice, to make it clear that it is not a ScaleSlice

Does this sound crazy?