[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/6397 Remove docs for Scrunch slice because I am having second thoughts

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 04:54:01 PST 2014

On 13 February 2014 18:02, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
> To be more specific about those second thoughts
>
> 1) Although the scrunch was working nicely, I had not considered the fact
> that it means that the position and size of the child slices are effectively
> in different units. I had expected to deal with this manually in my script,
> until I noticed that it makes the "slice edge x" and "slice edge y" commands
> useless. I am reluctant to add special-case handling for scrunch slices to
> those commands. That would mean i would have to script my own versions of
> them for my game, and that will probably have performance impacts. Those
> commands do get use a whole lot in collision detection.
>
> 2) After further testing, I doubt I can get my scripts to work reliably at
> 36 FPS on the OUYA. Some existing enemies drag fps down to 17 fps, which is
> not a big deal when 18.3 is my target, but is game-killing when 36.6 is my
> target. Considering that the game looks nice and controls nice and feels
> pleasant at 18.3, I have flip-flopped back to not wanting to change the
> frame rate for this game.
>
> So that leaves me doubting whether I should leave ScrunchSlice in at all. I
> am leaning towards removing it, and I can always add it back later if
> somebody is working on a project that would benefit from it.
>
> ---
> James

That's too bad.

I would consider sliceedgex/y returning the wrong results a bug
though. When scaling is implemented they will have to return positions
in the slice's coordinate system.

Have you tried running the game with the script profiler or a regular
profiler to see where all the time is spent? I would be quite
interested to know. (Assuming that it's whole due to scripts.) I
believe that the slice commands are quite inefficient, which is a
problem because a script interpreter won't change that (unless direct
access to slice data as object members is added).