[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/3886 a work-in-progress editor definition file

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 05:26:44 PDT 2010

On 14 October 2010 17:07, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 08:27:34PM -0700, Jay Tennant wrote:

Yes I tried it out, I just haven't looked over all the code yet :)
It's great! And since the change to make it automatically change type
as you type, it's very nice to use.

I assume the multiline text entry is just a general RELOAD editing
capability, and has nothing to do with the Editor Editor?

What was the complaint about intgrabber going "crazy" at high values?

I also notice that pasting a node value doesn't change the node type,
instead failing to work.

I've just seen the editor crash twice after loading
heroes.reld.editor, editing it, then going back to the RELOAD browser
without saving. Other times it doesn't happen. I would post the
backtrace, but it's huge.

>> > However, I am seriously considering making an actual
>> > editor-editor-editor. It would be similar to the RELOAD editor except it
>> > would strictly enforce the structure of a .editor file, and would
>> > automate the creation of each widget type.
>>
>> Forgive my nescience, but why do you need or want an editor-editor-editor?
>> Isn't that like a pointer to a pointer to a pointer?
>
> Thank you for making me google "nescience". I am now that much less
> nescient.
>
> I know the idea of an editor-editor-editor *sounds* crazy, especially
> since I have not actually started the editor-editor yet, but in the
> course of planning and preparing the editor-editor, I have come to
> believe that an editor-editor-editor might be exactly the right amount
> of indirection to trigger a cascade of awesomeness.
>
> Although maybe I am confusaing things by calling it the
> editor-editor-editor. In my mind I have been calling the interpreter for
> the editor definition files the "editor-editor" so a tool to create
> those files is the editor-editor-editor, but really I should drop a
> level of the indirection in my *name* of this thing.
>
> just simply "editor-editor" is a better description of what I have been
> talking about when I say "editor-editor-editor"

Ah yes, that was a complaint I was going to raise. An
editor-editor-editor would probably be something involving Mike's JSON
manifests -- there are some things humans will never understand :)