[Ohrrpgce] better palette options

Jeremy Bursey zippywings at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 16:14:35 PDT 2010

I'm only subscribed to the mailing digest, not the individual alerts, so I
have to cut and paste those comments related to the palette discussion I
introduced last night. Hopefully this doesn't come out all messy.

>Did james modify my palette in that way? I know he changed it slightly before
>installing as the new default. That's a shame if so; I specifically designed
>it to not waste a single entry.

The game I'm updating actually started 10 years ago on the old palette, so I
am using most of the original colors. I just had to move all my yellows to the
top row to make room for all my "sand" tiles. So that's the specific issue I'm
facing. At the moment, using my updated palette turns all the UI colors
yellow.

I'd like to use yours at some point, actually, but the time it would take me
to convert 160 palettes, 300 backdrops, over 1,000 sprites, and so on to the
compatable colors would cause me unthinkable pain, and I'm not ready to take
that plunge yet. An update to how palettes are handled would certainly make
the effort more desirable.

>Truecolor would actually be much easier to implement, and simpler,than the
>current system. Though some things would be unavoidably slower.In any case,
>we would need such code in order to display >256 colors total onscreen.

That's the part that made me question whether this was worth discussing.

>have you seen
>http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Plan_for_256_color_sprites

I have, actually. But it was my understanding that this was still light years
away from becoming reality, if it was ever meant to become reality.

>Apparently it is possible to run 256 color sprites, but the code needs to be
>rewritten from efficiently using video pages (dos days). Instead of attacking
>it now, I'm waiting until we've worked out an interface for the backends.
>I personally plan on attacking this after I've finished working out joystick
>support for the directx backend.

Ah, I see you're attacking that joystick stuff pretty quickly. Hope the
conversions go well.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I look forward to the day when palettes are
more accessible.