[Ohrrpgce] better palette options

David Gowers (kampu) 00ai99 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 18:59:29 PDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Jeremy Bursey <zippywings at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm only subscribed to the mailing digest, not the individual alerts, so I
> have to cut and paste those comments related to the palette discussion I
> introduced last night. Hopefully this doesn't come out all messy.
>
>>Did james modify my palette in that way? I know he changed it slightly
>> before
>>installing as the new default. That's a shame if so; I specifically
>> designed
>>it to not waste a single entry.
>
> The game I'm updating actually started 10 years ago on the old palette, so I
> am using most of the original colors. I just had to move all my yellows to
> the
> top row to make room for all my "sand" tiles. So that's the specific issue
> I'm
> facing. At the moment, using my updated palette turns all the UI colors
> yellow.
>
> I'd like to use yours at some point, actually, but the time it would take me
> to convert 160 palettes, 300 backdrops, over 1,000 sprites, and so on to the
> compatable colors would cause me unthinkable pain, and I'm not ready to take
> that plunge yet. An update to how palettes are handled would certainly make
> the effort more desirable.
i wrote an app which does that automatically (CHGPAL). have you tried
it on a copy of your rpg?
http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Graphics_Utilities

It's a simple enough procedure that CUSTOM  could conceivably
implement it as an option on the master palette screen.

> That's the part that made me question whether this was worth discussing.
>
>>have you seen
>>http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Plan_for_256_color_sprites
>
> I have, actually. But it was my understanding that this was still light
> years
> away from becoming reality, if it was ever meant to become reality.

I'm working on some formal YAML propositions regarding sprite
upgrades. They have the property of being very succint, so hopefully
that will help things to happen