[Ohrrpgce] FreeBASIC Mac OS X build

James Paige Bob at HamsterRepublic.com
Tue Oct 5 10:24:21 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 02:48:17AM +1300, Ralph Versteegen wrote:
> OK, I finally have an fbc build that can compile itself and the OHR.
> James (and anyone else who's interested), let me know if you can get
> it working.

Spiffy!

> To compile, stick the SDL and SDL_mixer frameworks
> somewhere (preferably use at least the SDL_mixer build below), stick
> fbc in PATH (it's a standalone build), make sure SDLmain.a is in
> $(libpaths) if needed, edit $(FRAMEWORKS_PATH) if needed, and build
> with make.

I have the frameworks in place, and fbc is in my path now (I can run it
and get the command line help)

I am not sure how to know whether or not I need to add SDLmain.a to
$(libpaths), but I am assuming that it I did, that would mean editing
the Makefile, correct? Also, I am not sure where SDLmain.a is. A file
search did not turn it up.

Same goes for $(FRAMEWORKS_PATH). Not sure how to know if I need it, and
in this case I don't already see it in the Makefile. Should I add it?

When I run make right now I get complaints about libintl:
--------------------------------
broaste:~/src/ohr/wip james$ make
fbc -lang deprecated -m verprint verprint.bas -g
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libintl.3.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/james/misc/fbc-mac/bin/darwin/as
  Reason: image not found
make[1]: *** [verprint] Error 1
!!! This Makefile is not the recommended way to build the OHRRPGCE, and
is poorly tested! makegame.sh, makeedit.sh or makegame.bat, makeedit.bat
are recommended instead !!!
fbc -lang deprecated -m verprint verprint.bas -g
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libintl.3.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/james/misc/fbc-mac/bin/darwin/as
  Reason: image not found
make[1]: *** [verprint] Error 1
!!! This Makefile is not the recommended way to build the OHRRPGCE, and
is poorly tested! makegame.sh, makeedit.sh or makegame.bat, makeedit.bat
are recommended instead !!!
Compiling Bam2Midi...
fbc -lang deprecated bam2mid.bas -mt -g -exx -entry SDL_main -Wl
-macosx_version_min,10.4
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libintl.3.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/james/misc/fbc-mac/bin/darwin/as
  Reason: image not found
make: *** [bam2mid] Error 1
--------------------------------

> FB SVN patch against r5402:
> http://tmc.castleparadox.com/freebasic/fbc_mac_20101006.patch
>
> Modified objconv source implementing scattered relocations (I can't
> provide a patch right now as it was actually updated last week, and I
> lost my copy of the original source) (objconv binary included with fbc
> binary) (unfinished):
> http://tmc.castleparadox.com/freebasic/objconv_mac_relocations_wip.tbz

Ah, scattered relocations. Is that what you were talking about when
arrays would start somewhere other than 0 but would not be reloacted
correctly?

> OS 10.4 x86-only builds of SDL and SDL_mixer (built from last stable
> release of each, plus midi looping fix to SDL_mixer):
> http://tmc.castleparadox.com/freebasic/SDL_x86_builds.tbz
> This includes both the framework bundles, and the SDL and SDL_mixer
> libraries pulled out of them (should be identical). Also an .app
> template I was playing around with. OK this bundles is a mess, but I
> don't have any more spare time over the next couple days to figure out
> packaging. That's up to you!

Cool. I will check it out and see what I can accomplish (assuming I can
get past the compiling phase )

> That's an awful lot of files, and I have an insane number of builds
> and backups and downloads and copies of sources and patches floating
> around my drive, so I may have uploaded something incorrectly. I'm
> half expecting to find that most of my files have been automatically
> deleted because I've supposedly gone 1GB over my usage quota!! Yes, an
> insane number.

Hopefully since it is one of them "soft" quotas, they will be soft about
enforcing it ;)

> I haven't posted these builds on the FB forums yet. Maybe I'll try
> clean up the code first - however, even then it'll be nowhere near
> being acceptable for merging.

Just letting them know it exists, even with the disclaimer of
unmergeability might get them excited about it.

> Enjoy. I'm not going to look at this stuff again for a couple days.

No worries, take your time. :)
I will figure out what I can in the mean-time

---
James Paige