[Ohrrpgce] Subversion-like game updates

Jay Tennant hierandel8 at crazyleafgames.com
Tue Dec 1 09:26:13 PST 2009

I'm getting 6 guys together to work on a game idea a friend has, and it occurred to us that we cannot work together simultaneously on the game file. That is, one person would be building the game file, and everyone else could work on content. Which is ok.

However, it'd be _very_ nice if we could each have a copy of the game file, and if one updates a section of the game, those updates could be merged with the other game copies. For example, if John edits maptile set 0, and Frank edits maptile set 3, a single file will merge the updates of John's maptile set 0 and Frank's maptile set 3.

That's the concept. It's not too unlike using subversion to update the ohr wip. Feel free to expand on this. Has this sort of thing already been done? Are there other projects converting the files to other format structures, ie. xml?

Is the file i/o contained entirely within loading.bas and lumpfile.bas?