[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/2284 Wander: Apply latest fixbits and binsizes.

Mike Caron caron.mike at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 12:19:32 PDT 2008

James Paige wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 12:15:07AM -0400, Mike Caron wrote:
>> subversion at HamsterRepublic.com wrote:
>>> james
>>> 2008-09-23 21:04:49 -0700 (Tue, 23 Sep 2008)
>>> 88
>>> Wander: Apply latest fixbits and binsizes.
>>> Spellcheck textboxes.
>>> Add a portrait for Bob
>> I just took a peek, and the palette for Bob's portrait (81) is all black...
>
> Yeah, I fixed that later last night, but never got around to checking it
> in because I was busy working on a portrait for James.
>
> Reading through the text box export code was inspiring me. I can't wait
> to draw a portrait of Bob and James crammed together in the Myrmidon
> suit :)

Heheh, is it going to be Bob and James together, or the next/chest
region? :P

>> On pseudo-related note, what would you say about adding some meta-data
>> to the textbox im/export function? I'm envision a scenario where you (as
>> in you, James) add portraits for everybody, and now have to revise a
>> large portion of the 403 textboxes. I can only assume this would be
>> easier in a text editor than in Custom.
>>
>> I'm willing to take a look at this, too...
>
> Rya made a good suggestion on the forums. What if we dumped meta-data to
> a tab delimited text file that could be edited in a spreadsheet program
> like excel or openoffice calc?

I was thinking about that too, but I think that it would be better,
ultimately, to have it right in the file itself.

> As for embedding meta-data right into the text box export file, I am
> okay with that too, as long as it is optional. Sorta like when you pick
> export, it gives you a list of things to include:
>
>  Text
>  box links
>  other conditionals
>  choice data
>  appearance data
 >
> And then you check off which ones you want to have in your export file.
> Then on import, fields that are not present would be ignored (no change
> to current box data)

I've done this, although I clumped box links in with the conditionals. I
also don't really see the value in not exporting the text itself. It
would only make the importer more complicated, and besides, the text
provides the oh-so important context, when editing everything else.

> Personally I can't see editing portrait position in a text editor. I
> simply wouldn't want to. But box links on the other hand, I probably
> would like to edit in the export file.

The reason I included that stuff was so that you can copy and paste the
block of data from one box to another. This reason, in fact, is the main
reason I started this.

> Another thing I think we could really use is a menu option in the text
> box editor that shows all the boxes which can link to the current box,
> so you can quickly jump to them.

Hmm, that would be a rather niche feature... 99% of the time, a text box
is only linked from one other box. In this case, it would be most useful
for "climbing" the dialogue chain.