[Dev] how to collect performance data from users?

James Paige Bob at HamsterRepublic.com
Tue Oct 28 08:39:17 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:29:07PM -0700, Brian Fisher wrote:
>    Hmm... well we don't use any features of openGL really :) Just display
>    lists and textured unlit quads. No Shaders, no multipass lighting or
>    multi-texture, no accumulation buffer, no floating point formats or
>    anything, no glu or glut functions, no extensions at all...
>
>    not having Hardware acceleration sounds a very plausible explanation...
>    although OpenGL isn't really supposed to have a software implementation
>    (it's supposed to be about actually getting at your hardware), there is a
>    software implementation on Windows XP which is usually pitiful
>
>    I'd say if the card can do well on the most basic possible opengl
>    benchmark that involves texturing, then there is something we might be
>    able to fix some problem that we specifically have going on. If it can't
>    do well on such a benchmark, well there ya go :)

I had him post his benchmark results here in this thread:
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554

Most of his benchmarks come out in the single digits, but others are
okay.

>    ...Does sidescroller try to draw every tile everywhere? is there any kind
>    of quick rejection of large blocks of tiles going on? (like throwing out
>    entire blocks in customer service robot)

I haven't touched that particular code in a while, but if I remember
correctly, it computes a corner block, then returns an iterator
starting there, which iterates over the blocks on the screen until you
get to the opposite corner

Breaking the map up into larger blocks like Customer Service Robot does
would probably be a better idea, since I also want to have larger
solid structures like rocks and roots embedded in the dirt. But it
doesn't do that yet.