[Ohrrpgce] A few ideas and things

Bob the Hamster Bob at HamsterRepublic.com
Mon Jun 6 10:04:25 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 03:45:23AM +1200, TeeEmCee wrote:
> > > I don't quite follow you. But I realised it's no problem: I was
> > > mistaken. If the loadgame screen was skipped, the newgame script would
> > > run, and if the player then loaded a game, the loadgame script would
> > > run.
> >
> > What about if the player startes a *new* game?
>
> Hmmm, I had assumed that a loadgame menu would do nothing if the
> player choose 'new game'. But you're sayig, that menu actually has 3
> removed? I doubt it is the intent of anything giving the player a load
> game screen to let them restart the game instead. Or not?

Here is how I would like to see this work:

1) A bitset to disable the automatic display of the "load" screen, for
games which implement their own saving and loading

2) An optional "demo" plotscript, with a configurable timer. If you sit
on the title screen for x amount of time, it would run this plotscript.
it would be like starting a new game, but only the demo script, NOT the
new game script would be run. It would be the responsibility of the
script author to execute "game over" at the end of the demo, to go back
to the title screen.

Those two features can be implemented separately, and they are simple
enough to be non-bloaty, but flexable enough that you can do a lot with
them.

---
Bob the Hamster