[Ohrrpgce] A few ideas and things

TeeEmCee teeemcee at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 07:04:47 PDT 2005

A few ideas. If unopposing/unimproved I might start on them soon (for
many, I need to get to reading through and understanding custom
first):

A command to run script by id number, and return the return value. I'm
actually quite shocked by how many people have requested this,
including me a few years ago (or maybe it's the same 2 people
complaining :)

An option to skip the load screen (go straight to a new game), and
also a command to show the load game screen (with an option to not
actually load- like savemenu). The only problem is, if you do this and
have an option to load in the newgame script, when the player does so,
the game will be loaded and the newgame script run again! Any ideas on
getting around this? Maybe something better than this option.

An option to set an automatic proceed on the title screen after a
delay: Set it to 20 seconds, after which the title passes. You could
actually use this to create intro movies: have as title "such-and-such
presents:", set it to show for 5 seconds, skip the load game screen,
and play a looping demo until the player presses a key, then get into
the game.

Finally, what about an ability to set the number of saveslots
available to the player at the save/load game menus, range 1 to 32. It
would default to 4, incase someone is using higher save slots for
other purposes through scripts.

Where would this new data go? In the range 61-92 in gen()? I can't
find any documentation of gen() that I trust- the one in custom.bas
includes 60 where one in game doesn't, and I remember MCW pointed out
that the wrapper scripts in plotscr.hsd alter generals that weren't in
something James posted on CP a while ago.

Also, some script calls (as in, npc triggered, autoload map scripts,
etc) allow you to pass arguments to the scripts. Looking at the
source, I realise that I was mistaken the whole time that if you don't
want them, you don't have to declare arguments on the script? It seems
that if you do this, they will get placed in local variables. I wanted
to have true or false passed to the newgame script depending on
whether the player pressed a key at the title (above), this might
interfer with newgame scripts with locals, would this be a problem?

TMC