[Ohrrpgce] Attack animation timing

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 08:19:04 PDT 2022

That would be fantastic.
So, making these delays adjustable will also allow a solution to the very
common complaint that battles are too fast? I can't quite explain *how*
they are too fast but I guess it's the short "After Hit" delays before the
next attack, so I think it would be good to add a global default setting
for that, if increasing it really is a good way to slow down battles. I see
that the After Hit delays are also nearly uniform to within a tick and
maybe could all be reduced to 2 ticks?

What do you mean by configuring "flinch speed"? It appears that flinches
are always a movement of 3 ticks, 2 pixels per tick. Driveby then seems to
remain stationary there for an extra two ticks, before the 3 tick movement
back to the starting position.
The direction of the flinch is a big problem for games that have heroes at
bottom/enemies at top, or other layouts, so being able to adjust that would
be great, but I guess that's out of scope for this. But just being able to
disable it globally would be useful, I think Feenick requested that?

Re attack animation pattern speeds, if you mean that as a per-attack
setting (which seems to make the most sense), although I've been cautious
in the past, that could continue to be supported in future if animations
(defined on spritesets rather than on attacks) can be played at a modified
speed, (e.g. a speed modifier like 2x, or "play animation in X ticks"). And
after my recent 7drl experience, I now think there should definitely be
animation speed adjustment settings available outside the animation itself.
So go ahead.

We don't want to be stuck with 18fps battles forever so worth keeping
framerate independence in mind, but it looks like it'll be a lot of work to
escape that limit.