[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/12634 Introducing EditorKit, a framework for creating data editors

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 16:10:22 PST 2021

The first one I'd like converted to Reload is textboxes, in order to be
able to make use of variable-size fonts, text markup, and utf-8 text.
Because I'm finally going to merge my big branch of render_text
improvements soon and would like to see those features available in the
next release. The textbox editor code is actually already quite clean.
In the process I'd like to future-proof the conversion of textbox
conditionals so that in future we can switch to a system where people can
add custom conditionals from a large library of possible effects (which
would each be a wrapper around a script command). But apparently the extent
of planning we have on the wiki is just
https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Plan_for_text_box_file_format_change

On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 at 03:11, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> This is great! I am delighted-- and yes, I agree, EditEdit was the wrong
> way to do built-in editor menus
>
> This also makes me think about other non-reload lumps that I would like to
> eventually convert to reload
>
> On Sat., Nov. 13, 2021, 11:05 p.m. Ralph Versteegen, <teeemcee at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Phew, that took me at least 5x longer than expected, since starting a
>> fortnight ago.
>> This is something I've always wished we had. In particular, I wanted to
>> make it easy to create editors for RELOAD docs, such as achievements. Next
>> up I'm converting Platform Options. There are going to be many benefits.
>> One goal is to allow changing/improving the appearance and UI of editors,
>> for example using different fonts (and even text encodings) for editor text
>> and game strings.
>>
>> I intend, over time, to rewrite almost every menu in Custom using
>> EditorKit; I've tried to make it as flexible as possible to allow this. In
>> contrast because Editor Editor is data-centric it's very restrictive and
>> wouldn't be possible. I think it would still be cool to allow users to
>> define their own data editors using editedit, but I don't think we want any
>> builtin editors built that way.
>>
>> The biggest things missing are support for switching records, and
>> submenus.
>>
>> On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 at 16:41, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>>
>>> teeemcee
>>> 2021-11-13 19:41:29 -0800 (Sat, 13 Nov 2021)