[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/12634 Introducing EditorKit, a framework for creating data editors

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 20:05:02 PST 2021

Phew, that took me at least 5x longer than expected, since starting a
fortnight ago.
This is something I've always wished we had. In particular, I wanted to
make it easy to create editors for RELOAD docs, such as achievements. Next
up I'm converting Platform Options. There are going to be many benefits.
One goal is to allow changing/improving the appearance and UI of editors,
for example using different fonts (and even text encodings) for editor text
and game strings.

I intend, over time, to rewrite almost every menu in Custom using
EditorKit; I've tried to make it as flexible as possible to allow this. In
contrast because Editor Editor is data-centric it's very restrictive and
wouldn't be possible. I think it would still be cool to allow users to
define their own data editors using editedit, but I don't think we want any
builtin editors built that way.

The biggest things missing are support for switching records, and submenus.