[Ohrrpgce] Can't log in to wiki over HTTP

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 18:58:11 PDT 2020

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 at 02:08, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> I would be happy to disable http completely, and always redirect http to
> https.
>
> People who have an OS so old that it can't support https are welcome to
> open a web browser on a separate device.
>
> I don't actually know how to do this just for the login page. I think I
> remember an option in the dreamhost config panel to do this for the whole
> site, but I would have to hunt for it.
>
> A *MUCH* bigger security concern is that I can't upgrade Mediawiki
> anymore. It has been years since running "git pull" on a large repo in a
> shell script on a dreamhost shared account was a viable option.

Is the reason that you're using git to download mediawiki versions because
you use git to merge your local changes?
Are those local changes just in LocalSettings.php?
If it's just a couple files, it seems practical to write a small shell
script to download a tarball and do an interactive merge of those couple
files using sdiff.