[Ohrrpgce] Collection root slices Fill Parent

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 15:23:33 PDT 2020

Visibility of the root slice of a collection can be toggled with F5.
I feel like they should maybe be visible by default, because the root slice
is the slice you get a handle to from "load collection", and so they're
pretty important, but many people don't understand what they are or that
they can be edited in the editor.

Also, root slices are set to Fill Parent by default, to ensure that they're
the same size of the screen, even if you change the game resolution. But I
think that in most ways this is a bad thing and I suggest we change the
default for newly created collections.

The problem with having the root set to fill is that you can't move or
reposition the collection slice after loading it!! How many people have
wondered why "put slice" didn't work? As Bena told me, "it seemed natural
that I'd be able to do that; didn't give it a second thought until it
didn't work". Plus if you try to reparent your collection to some slice
that isn't the same size as the screen it will change size... although
you're only going to align something to right or bottom edges of the root
if its some kind of UI.

However, changing the default Fill Parent setting would be add a new source
of confusion because you can't tell just by looking at a collection whether
the root is set to fill or not. Maybe we should just add "(fill)" (or an
icon! I'm planning to add lots of icons to the slice editor, and kylekrack
has drawn me some!) in the root slice description line. Actually, yes, all
filling slices should have a little Fill Parent icon.