[Ohrrpgce] Global NPCs

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 21:51:14 PST 2020

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 17:04, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> On Tue., Aug. 25, 2020, 11:24 p.m. Ralph Versteegen, <teeemcee at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Cool!
>> In the L documentation it says pool 0 is local and 1 is global, but in N
>> it says the filename is globalnpcs0.n. Is that intentional?
>>

> I think my thinking was that globalnpcs0.n is the first global pool, but
> then I wasn't sure if multiple global pools were worth bothering with

You're replying to an old email! You already changed the documentation to
say globalnpcs1.n, which is what it is.

> Did you update NPC debug mode too?
>>

> Almost certain that I did, but needs to be double checked.

No, it's not done yet. NPC debug mode doesn't show a 'g' for global,
doesn't show the pool in the tooltip, and even mis-calculates the NPC copy
number.

>> Once NPC names are added, people can also use them to refer to NPCs
>> without any pool argument. And I think I'll allow naming NPC instances,
>> overriding the definition name, to refer to a particular copy, since the
>> renumbering of copies as you add/delete NPCs is also a complaint.
>>

> Yes, this is a good idea!

I've got a decent chunk done on NPC names in a branch. The part I started
wavering on was whether to export names as constants like npc:Bob or
instead extend HS and use something like actual strings or Lisp symbols
(like :Bob) ... hmm, didn't we discuss this somewhere already?