[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/12130 Normalize the copyright header on source files

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 07:05:10 PST 2020

OK. My only reason for arguing against it was that it felt strange having
my name there and not Mike's, since he wrote a lot of code too. But then I
looked at gitstats and realised I have over 10x as many svn commits as Mike
and almost 10x more lines added. It turns out Jay contributed almost as
much code as Mike! I'm still impressed by how many headline features Mike
implemented; he didn't waste time on cleanup for the sake of it, something
I still need to learn :)

Isn't author information normally in AUTHORS.txt?

Since LICENSE.txt / LICENSE-binary.txt are what are actually distributed
with binaries we really ought to have the copyright info in there!
On that note, I wanted to expand those files to list the copyright info of
all the source code we incorporate (whether credit in documentation is
technically required or not) as distributing that code under the GPL does
not avoid attribution requirements. I'm imagining that the top of the file
would state that the whole program is GPL'd, summarise copyrights and
licenses of all components, and the rest of the file would be a
concatenation of the full GPL, LGPL, Apache, etc licenses and attributions.
This is a bit unconventional, admittedly.

On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 at 14:52, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> How about:
>
> Copyright 1997-2020 James Paige, Ralph Versteegen and the OHRRPGCE
> Developers
>
> Having "Hamster Republic Productions" in there is was just meaningless
> fluff, because I haven't kept the fictitious business name registration for
> it current. I let it expire somewhere around 2007 or so (I don't remember
> exactly)
>
> Having our real names there is good, because without a proper legal
> umbrella organization, our names are where the copyright should actually
> be. Saying "the OHRRPGCE Developers" is a decent shorthand to acknowledge
> that there are others too. We could add a COPYRIGHT.txt file that describes
> contributions in more detail, which I think is a good idea for our
> relicensing plans anyway.
>
> If you would rather not have your name in there in the header, it is up to
> you, but you've written so much code you definitely deserve it if you want
> it :D
>
> On Sat., Dec. 19, 2020, 6:11 p.m. Ralph Versteegen, <teeemcee at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm pleased to see the old file headers replaced.
>> But I wanted to discuss what the copyright line should be. I've never
>> been inducted into the Hamster Republic and don't think it describes the
>> set of contributors to the project. And nobody has ever been asked to
>> assign/transfer their copyrights in their contributions to you or HR, so
>> they still possess them (and their permission is needed to relicense). I
>> also don't think I need to be credited as co-maintainer.
>> I suggest something like:
>>  Copyright 1997-2020 James Paige and the OHRRPGCE Developers
>>  Copyright 1997-2020 the OHRRPGCE Developers and Hamster Republic
>> Productions
>>  Copyright 1997-2020 James Paige, Hamster Republic Productions and the
>> OHRRPGCE Developers
>>
>> I also see some inconsistencies still exist, so I'm going to fix those
>> now without changing the copyright. (gitk makes it very easy to compare
>> each file, I just hold down left mouse button and drag over each file in
>> the changeset).
>>
>> On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 at 09:49, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>>
>>> james
>>> 2020-12-19 12:49:12 -0800 (Sat, 19 Dec 2020)