[Ohrrpgce] Plans for moving the nightly builds

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Tue Dec 15 17:33:33 PST 2020

I started some work on restructuring the nightly builds.

Right now they are shell scripts run in a separate VM for each platform.

My plan is to start using Docker containers with all the build
requirements, and a Jenkins pipeline that will describe how a Jenkins
server will run the build scripts and upload the nightlies.

I think this will make the builds more streamlined, and will make it much
easier for other people to reproduce a working build environment, which
removes a barrier for entry for new developers.

It should also open the way for possibilities like automatically running
test builds each time changes are pushed, rather than just nightly, and for
the possibility of running multi-platform test builds on branches before
they are merged.

I know this will work well for Linux builds, and Android builds, and I
think I can possibly use mxe to make it work for windows builds too. Mac
builds are a bit more iffy I think-- I don't yet know what is involved with
making those cross-compile in a container, but at least it will reduce the
number of virtual machines I have to manage :D

I don't expect any changes at this time that would break the existing
nightly builds, so those won't be deprecated until I know the
Docker+Jenkins builds are working well.

---
James Paige