[Ohrrpgce] Global NPC definitions

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 19:41:58 PDT 2020

(I could have sworn we discussed this previously, but I can't find anything
on the mailinglist or SS)

That would be great!

However I'm concerned about the addition of a pool number to the script
commands. At least readnpc, alternpc, createnpc, npccopycount, changenpcid
and npcreference would need to gain a 'pool' argument, and many scripts
using those or getnpcid would potentially need to be updated if you start
using global npcs in a game, which is a problem for reusable scripts like
pixel-walker, dwimmerplatformy and SS101 which would need updating.

The alternative, which is to encode the pool number in the NPC ID (at least
as seen by scripts, not necessarily internally) would avoid all of that
work, complexity, and breakage, and I don't see much downside. For example
pool_id = pool * 1000 + id. The map editor and NPC debug mode would need to
show the combined ID too.
(I feel like 1000 is too low a limit but 10000 is too many digits to
squeeze into tight spaces (npc placement mode). Maybe * 2000, etc?)