[Ohrrpgce] Switch/PS4/XBox One

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 06:17:04 PDT 2019

Don't get excited, this is just an update to my previous investigation into
feasibility of ports.
I just wrote up this:
https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27890&p=264823#p264823

To summarise: XBox One and Switch ports should be straightforward (no
technical barriers), PS4 is not currently possible.

I see that my previous investigation was a private email to James/RMZ/Soda
Piggy.
Rather that copy it here I'll summarise the part not covered in my post
above:
-Ports are time consuming to do even when there are no technical barriers,
fees or gatekeeping by companies
-SDKs and all documentation for Switch and PS4 are private, so not only
can't we start a port the engine until Nintendo/Sony greenlight it, we
barely even know what it involves or if it's possible. What's more, we
would also need a physical XB1/Switch/PS4 to test on (maybe even a dev
unit?).
-There's only a one-time fee of US$19 to be able to release an unlimited
number of indie games for the XB1, the SDK is public, and we can mostly
test it on a Windows 10 PC.

Also, I wrote up the following additional notes, might as well attach them
here:

* Nintendo

https://discourse.libsdl.org/t/sdl-for-consoles/22726/9  (Sept 2017)
"I have a 3DS port that is sort of half-written; Nintendo announced the
Switch while I was working on it, so I assumed it was a dead platform.
If you want it, I can send you a copy, but I can’t promise that it’s in any
useful state. Drop me a line about it at icculus at icculus.org."
"Nintendo released new 2DS & 3DS XL versions, mid this year, so 3DS is far
from dead"

* Windows store and XBONE
To publish on either store, need a dev account. One time fee of US$19/NZ$24.
(there is also a higher fee for companies, but not applicable).
Can publish any number of apps.
Same Universal Windows Platform (UWP).

Supports only Windows 10 and Xbox One. Need Win 10 for development.
XBO has two ways to publish: professional games (ID at XBox), and the Creators
Program.
Creators program has "simplied certification". But it does not allow.
multiplayer or achievements. Does have leaderboards though.
But there are loads of rules around use of Xbox Live/networking.
Looks like maybe not allowed to use external leaderboards?

XBox1 and many XBox360 titles work on XBO. Former via emulation?
XBox360 had an xbox live indie games arcade (XBLIG) but it was shut down
2017.

Apps must follow these policies:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/windows/agreements/store-policies
(All very benign, except for networking on Xbox)
"Games that allow cross-player communication or synchronous network play on
Xbox One devices must use Xbox Live and be approved through the ID at Xbox
program."
"Apps that emulate a game system are not allowed on any device family."
"Your app must not attempt to change or extend the described functionality
through any form of dynamic inclusion of code that is in violation of Store
Policies."

"I’m using SDL on Xbox One in a UWP-based game. Should have more to report
on this soon." https://discourse.libsdl.org/t/sdl-for-consoles/22726/9