[Ohrrpgce] The OHRRPGCE on an Intel Compute Stick

Michael Kidder mkidder at gmail.com
Wed May 16 06:00:34 PDT 2018

Since I've done this before with running the engine on new OSes or weird
hardware, today's test is a newly acquired Intel Compute Stick I got as a
gift.

The Compute stick is a tiny computer that can be plugged directly into the
back of a TV via the HDMI port. It can be powered by the included plug
(which ends in mini-USB) or powered by a USB port, leading to the funny
situation that you can power an entire computer from another computer's USB
port.

The stick is powered by a fully x86 processor, and by default comes with
Windows 10 32-bit installed. Apparently you can install Linux on this
thing, but I haven't gotten around to trying that yet.

Stick specs:

Model STK1AW32SC

Intel Atom x5 Z8300 @ 1.44GHz (4 cores)
2GB RAM
onboard flash storage with SD card slot
1x USB2 port
1x USB3 port

>From running tests, the engine seems to run okay once loaded. I played the
included version of Vikings of Midgard. Sound and everything worked as
expected, no strange performance issues. The only difference I noticed is
Vikings took upwards of ~20 seconds to load either via CUSTOM or GAME. This
wasn't including the upgrade process for the file's data, just the entire
time I saw "Unlumping data...". This was confirmed by letting Custom
upgrade the game, saving it, then loading again, still the same 15-20
second load time on unlump.  This is likely due to the flash storage and a
bunch of files being created. (Windows Updates take eons on this thing for
similar reasons)

The stick supports Bluetooth. While I have the Xbox One controller that
supports Bluetooth, and a PS4 controller, I haven't tried to get either to
work with the engine, but I'd assume anything that connects via BT in
regular Windows computer installs will work here too.

Overall, a competent device for the engine, outside of the unlump times.