[Ohrrpgce] assert that a particular piece of code has a script error?

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 08:17:57 PST 2018

On 10 January 2018 at 05:12, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's no such feature. Its absence is certainly a nuisance for writing
> test cases.
> (hspeaktest.py can check for compile-time warnings and errors, but not
> run-time ones)
>
> I didn't have any ideas for a try/except block statement. I thought that
> people wouldn't use it much since most wouldn't be familiar with
> exceptions, and the additional complexity, didn't seem to justify it.
> But maybe a more coarse-grained ability to specify a global (or per-script
> or per-fibre) error handler would be useful. Either just for our purposes,
> or as a public feature.
> Incidentally, lua doesn't have try/except, but it has a special way to
> call a function so that you catch errors inside it (pcall).

Also, when it comes to the differences between release and debug modes, I
suppose that you could use error catching either to catch errors that will
actually be shown to the user (so you can customise that), or to catch
errors (oh a certain errorlevel?) regardless of whether they're shown,
which useful for testcases... but what use would there be? Because we want
to be able to assume everyone uses release mode, and add new error
checking, I think any other uses of error checking would make adding more
error checking a back-compat problem again :/