[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/10018 Add a screen for testing plankmenu cursor movement to the spam menu

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 07:42:09 PST 2018

On 7 February 2018 at 14:23, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:

> I actually already started rewriting cursor movement yesterday, but didn't
> finish. I haven't really nailed it down yet, but can just make a first pass
> at it and then we can tune it.
> My ideas a fairly similar to yours, except that instead of an iterative
> search for a slice that matches a certain criterion, I just assign each a
> score (metric) and pick the one with the best score, like it's already done.
> When using a metric, it's useful to think about the isolines: the lines
> along which different slice positions would have equal goodnesses.I'm

I experimented a bit with some alternatives, and selecting planks which are
sharply off to the side but close to the previous plank was a constant
problem. Which makes the battle cursor logic seem quite sensible (although
I didn't copy it over to plankmenu and try it). I would actually be easy to
adapt it to rectangular planks; I found just using the point on the edge of
the plank facing the previous cursor position and closest to the previous
cursor works pretty well most of the time - in other words, reducing all
other planks to single points.

I think the isolines we want are something like these:

​
This is similar to what you said about checking for planks within a
rectangle or within a cone.