[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/10018 Add a screen for testing plankmenu cursor movement to the spam menu

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Tue Feb 6 08:22:28 PST 2018

Dang! That is worse than I thought!

I had done so much of my testing with mostly-gridlike plankmenus, that I
had not realized how bad it was.

I played around with the test menu for a while, and I was trying to think
of a heuristic.

Kinda thinking out loud here:

* the direction we want to move is the move axis
* the opposite direction is the other axis

for distance = 2x, 4x, 8x ... of selected plank size on the move axis
  is there another plank touching a line between current plank edge and
axis size
  is there another plank within a rect of distance * other axis size
  is there another plank within a 90 degree cone with the small end on the
selected plank center and the wide end distance away

If the above fails to find anything withing the screen size, then it falls
back to the current behavior of selecting the next plank on the move axis
without caring where it is on the other axis

I think that would probably do what we want for both gridlike planks and
chaotically scattered planks.
I think that should avoid most cases where a grid can't be reached from any
of its neighbors (although I am sure you could still easily construct
pathological cases with that problem, for example, a grid of four planks
with a little space in between then, and a really tiny plank right in the
middle of all of them)

We might also want to handle diagonal movement explicitly with a similar
heuristic. That ought to make the unreachable plank cases a lot harder to
create.

I think the only good thing about the current method is that it should be
impossible to have any unreachable plank, but its other glaring flaws
outweigh that by a great deal.

If we have a decent heuristic, we could then pretty easily have a plank
menu checker that brute forces every possible movement, and warns you about
any unreachable planks.