[Ohrrpgce] Important reminder about Android targetSdkVersion requirement

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 07:45:00 PDT 2018

You are reading this wrong. They are enforcing a targetSdkVersion of
Android 8.0, not a certain minSdkVersion.
"the minSdkVersion and targetSdkVersion attributes for the <uses-sdk>
element identify the lowest API level with which your app is compatible and
the highest API level against which you’ve designed and tested your app."

What I don't know is whether you can set targetSdkVersion to something
higher than the version of the SDK you're actually using to compile. This
matters because each version of the android SDK has lowest minSdkVersion
that it supports. And the lowest supported minSdkVersion is always being
bumped higher. I do know though that compileSdkVersion doesn't have to
match targetSdkVersion.

The migration guide for targetting a higher API is here:
https://developer.android.com/distribute/best-practices/develop/target-sdk