[Ohrrpgce] Almost time for etheldreme stable release!

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 17:07:39 PST 2017

On 12 November 2017 at 14:53, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>> That sounds like a lot of work for just 10 days, even if you had nothing
>> else to do in the world! :)
>>
> Converting battles to slices will probably hit into some painful edge
> cases in the animation system, but is largely about replacing Frame with
> Slice, not new features.
> I don't think a new spriteset browser is going to be that big a project,
> since it doesn't do terribly much (until animations are added.).
> The new rgfx file format isn't finalised, but I've pretty much decided
> which changes I'm going to make to it. Saving, loading and upgrading to
> rgfx is largely implemented.
>
> Anyway, once I have a free week and pull myself away from other OHR
> distractions, I'm going to spend a week just on animations. I think that's
> enough time to get them in place :)
>

>>> More realistically, I've been doing lots of work on slices recently,
>>> most of which isn't exposed yet. I'll think about whether it's ready to
>>> expose.
>>> And I wanted to work on equip slots.
>>>
>>> A general summary of stuff I'm actively working on but haven't merged
>>> yet:
>>> -line slices
>>> -template slices (hidden slices which are ignored for all purposes)
>>> -refactoring embed_text_codes, so that you can use embed codes in text
>>> slices
>>> -map editor improvements
>>>
>>> And some stale stuff that's close to mergeable:
>>> -nicer looking minimaps either using scale_surface (which require 32 bit
>>> color) or an alternative (which doesn't)
>>> -joystick rewrite, to fix our utterly broken joystick handling (so
>>> little risk of breaking anything by merging it)
>>> -a color replacement tool for backdrops, which REPLACES the 'disable
>>> palette colors for import' menu.
>>>

>> Those last two especially sound like great things to sneak in before
>> etheldreme. :)
>>

> I was a little be worried about removing the 'disable colors' menu (I
> modified it into the remap tool). I was thinking that a color remapper
> (which is just a 'replace color' tool with undo) can't do everything color
> disabling does. If two colors in the original get mapped to black, then the
> remapper can't separate them again. But if you disabled black, they might
> get mapped to dark blue and dark red. Which is a crappy solution too!
> And this is only a problem for 32 bit bmps; 8 bit bmps are fine, because
> you can remap colors during import, before the information gets lost.
> And it would be possible to improve the remapper for 32 bit import too, by
> first converting them to 8-bit with an optimal palette.
> So I'll merge it.
>

>>> BTW, don't forget to update this out-of-date whatsnew line:
>>>     * You can now browse for items rather than typing in their ID
>>>       numbers [James]
>>>

>> I'm not sure what I need to change there... Maybe I phrased it badly?
>>

> It's out of date because it only mentions items, but you can browse for

Despite being a RC, we still didn't update whatsnew for that or the
highlights.

The amount of unmerged stuff I have is only increasing!
Although I finished Line slices (after finally deciding that they should
draw from x,y to x+w,y+h, not to x+w-1,y+h-1, and that using negative width
and height is most natural, both of those things are necessary for lines
properly connecting together when you parent one to another), I didn't
merge them because I hadn't written the script commands... hmm, should do
so anyway, and the commands are pretty easy to add anyway

The other thing was that I meant to expose the option to change the game
resolution. Even though it's a RC, exposing it doesn't actually change
anything, and it's been in testing for years. I'm sick of telling people
that the option is still hidden.