[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/9694 Update the F1 help for attack chaining to mention "Scaled stat chance" c

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 03:34:23 PST 2017

On 14 November 2017 at 11:02, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> james
> 2017-11-13 14:02:29 -0800 (Mon, 13 Nov 2017)
> 145
> Update the F1 help for attack chaining to mention "Scaled stat chance"
> conditions
> (but if anybody can explain this better than I did, please do!)
> ---
> U   wip/ohrhelp/attack_chaining.txt

A random number between 0 and 1 < max any stat X divided by Y? Don't
"normal" (non-mathematically inclined) people always describe chances using
percentages or ratios? I don't think it's obvious that generating a number
between 0 and 1 and comparing to a fraction Z has chance to succeed Z*100%,
except that if the stat is larger than Y, it has 100% chance. In fact, when
I looked at the code for it, I got confused for a minute as to whether that
was the effect.
Instead of:
  Condition: scaled stat chance (max any target)
  if random 0 to 1 < max any target X
  divided by Y
Maybe something like
  Condition: with chance (100 * max any target X / Y)%
  stat: max any target's X
  divided by: Y
I suppose, since we already have the Rate option above which is a second
probability (and the Rate is limited from 0-100%), it would be possible to
combine the two, as:
  Rate: (Z * max any target X / Y)%    (edits the value of Z)
  Condition: stat-based chance (max of any target)
  stat: max any target's X
  divided by: Y
But this seems to make things much more difficult to understand.

But wait, why don't we just use plain english?
  Condition:  chance increasing with X (max any target)
  stat: max any target's X
  increases from 0% for X=0 to 100% for X>=Y      (edits the value of Y)
It doesn't fit in 40 characters, but I'd sure like to stop hobbling
ourselves with that limit (speaking of which, didn't we intend to increase
the default?)

In fact, why don't we make the 0% an extra parameter? You can get the same
effect by also having an Else chain with a base chance, but that's not
simple.