[Ohrrpgce] More sleuthing into the first OHR release

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Thu May 11 22:39:13 PDT 2017

On 12 May 2017 at 16:22, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> I think the first release would have been a custom.zip uploaded to some
> location under http://www.cyberverse.com/~spam/ which was my site before
> the hamsterrepublic.com domain was ever registered. It probably happened
> in late 1996, or early 1997 and it would have been announced in an
> off-topic thread on the forums for the Verge RPG maker.

Oh, interesting. I had a look on archive.org (in the beta version they have
a keyword search you can use to find all websites on a topic, but it still
missin
But you mean late 1997/early 1998. The 20th anniversary of the first
release is still some time away. The 20th anniversary of the start of the
OHR was most of a year ago.

> I don't think sample.rpg and npc_tag.rpg existed in the first release,
> just wander.rpg

In that case I'm inclined to guesstimate a release date of early Jan 1998
or Dec 1997.

> I know the BAM format pre-dates the ohrrpgce, and was first used for Bob
> the Hamster VGA... that was probably 1994 or 1995? I Think notate was from
> then too, so timestamps on notate-related files probably aren't helpful.

But those files were touched within a month or two of the release, and I
thought there might have been a link, althogh you've almost certainly
forgotten that now.

> I know development definitely started in 1996, in the summer after I
> graduated from high school. I know I didn't upload it for a while, and I
> think I uploaded wh_demo.zip a few months before uploading custom, but I
> really don't remember for sure.
>
> If I had to pick an arbitrary birth-day for the ohrrpgce, I would estimate
> that the 20th anniversary already happened at least a few months ago.
>

> However, but brain is well known to be fuzzy, and I think that a better
> and more satisfying birthday would probably be whatever first release we
> actually still have hard evidence of, even if it isn't the actual first.

In that case, might as well use Nov 6 1997, the Wandering Hamster demo,
which can still be downloaded and played. It wasn't the first release of
WH, though.