[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/9084 Move the building of .deb files from the 32-bit only section to the 64-b

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 07:42:33 PDT 2017

On 27 July 2017 at 02:19, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 6:31 AM, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 26 July 2017 at 10:11, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>>
>>> james
>>> 2017-07-25 15:11:35 -0700 (Tue, 25 Jul 2017)
>>> 87
>>> Move the building of .deb files from the 32-bit only section to the
>>> 64-bit only section
>>> ---
>>> U   wip/distrib.sh
>>>
>>> I'm baffled by this and the related changes. You're going from building
>> .deb packages only for 32-bit machines to only building them from 64-bit
>> machines? Why?
>>

> Its temporary, actually.
>
> I did some quick googling about current usage numbers and found that over
> 90% of Ubuntu installs are 64 bit, vs less than 10% 32 bit
>
> So I figured supporting 64 bit .deb files was the priority.
>
> I do plan to add an option to linux/ohrrpgce.py for building 32 bit also,
> I just wanted to get the most important thing done first.

Ah, makes sense. 90% vs 10% surprised me, but I guess 64 bit PCs and large
memories have been around for a long time now

I guess that in that case, it may not be worth the effort to have an option
in the Distribute menu to produce universal 32+64bit tarballs.
Packaging sdl and sdl_mixer libraries into tarballs would be a higher
priority. (Unfortunately I don't know what to do about MIDI instruments...)

>> Also, I totally forgot about hspeak. About time I looked into that..
>>
>> You can download a linux-x64 build of Euphoria 4.1.0 here:
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/rapideuphoria/files/Euphori
>> a/4.1.0-beta2/
>> It's not the latest version (they haven't provided 64-bit downloads for
>> the latest), but it's pretty recent.
>> Because I have Euphoria 4.0.3 installed system wide, I had to put this in
>> my path and set $EUDIR to get it to compile. I don't know if EUDIR is
>> necessary otherwise.
>>
>> I tested that the resulting hspeak works, producing byte-for-byte
>> identical files.
>> Interestingly, hspeak compiled with Eu 4.1.0 64 bit is faster than Eu
>> 4.0.3 32 bit: 48.88 seconds instead of 76.69 seconds to compile
>> Entrepreneur.
>> Note that I think there are some Eu 4.1 features I'd like to use (though
>> I can't remember them), so would like to switch to it anyway.
>>

> Ah, very nice. I'll try that out.
>

> By the way, the 64-bit deb that I built is not ready to use yet.
>
> When I tested installing it on a pristine Debian VM, it installed just
> fine, and ohrrpgce-custom seemed to work just fine.
>
> I then tested ohrrpgce-game and it was crashing with a null pointer in one
> of the _setoption functions (I'll grab the exact error message later)

Oh, I know what that was. It was a bug I already fixed in r9082. It only
crashed when passing commandline flags (e.g. when using gdbgame.sh).