[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/9064 Add lineheight() function. Not too useful yet, as it always returns 10,

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 23:57:45 PDT 2017

On 25 July 2017 at 09:11, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, because 8 pixel line-height plain font is used by standard_menu,
> it's effectively used nearly everywhere.
> For plain (non-edged) text, 10 is definitely too much. Since even
> uppercase text is actually only 7 pixels high, the gaps are pretty big. But
> 9 looks alright.
> However, changing the line height in standard_menu from 8/9 to 9/10 breaks
> many menus, at least when viewed at 320x200. Of course, they could all be
> fixed up, but it seems like unnecessary work. I would like to be able to
> use alternative fonts throughout Custom, though, so those menus would need
> changing anyway.
>
> But the other problem with returning 10 for edged font and 9 for plain
> font is that text slices already use 10 for both. Aside from changing the
> appearance of those slices, it would also change their size. Though plain
> text slices are used very little. There are quite a lot of different ways
> we could implement a back-compat setting. Such as a back-compat bit to
> increase the line spacing of non-outlined text slices by 1.
> Note that the 'outline' option for text slices is going to become obsolete
> to a 'font' option.

Hmm, so currently standard_menu uses lines of text that are tight together,
while blocks of text (text slices and also wrapprint/edgeprint/printstr)
use 10 pixel spacing. But really it should be the other way around. I'd
really like to support menus with menu items which are multiple wrapped
lines of text. Especially in multichoice(). Obviousy the spacing between
menu items should be larger than the spacing between lines.

> On 25 July 2017 at 08:04, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>
>> I used to use 8 for everything. After the addition of outlined text, I
>> started inconsistently using 9 or 10, and eventually settled on 10.
>>
>> I actually feel pretty okay about switching to a default of 10 across the
>> board. I don't think it will break much of anything.
>>
>> I am also not opposed to treating edged and plain text as having
>> different line-height. That seems reasonable to me, especially since we
>> want to move towards allowing other font sizes.
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 12:58 PM, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>>
>>> teeemcee
>>> 2017-07-24 12:58:33 -0700 (Mon, 24 Jul 2017)