[Ohrrpgce] Quarterly Stable Releases?

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Wed Jul 12 11:40:07 PDT 2017

I mentioned this once already in a thread on on slimesalad, but I thought
this might be a better place to discuss the idea.

I was thinking we should switch to a quarterly stable release schedule,
rather than a
whenever-we-feel-everything-important-that-we-wanted-to-add-has-been-finished
schedule.

We could do an August/November/February/May rotation, where I would branch
and upload the stable release some day on the first full week of each of
those months.

I can set up a calendar alert that goes to this mailing list to warn us
when the next release is 1 and 2 weeks away, so we have time to wrap up
last minute stuff.

The only things that would block a release would be critical or datalossy
bugs, or other substantial problems that would make a new stable release
measurably less stable than the previous one.

Half finished features would not be an excuse to delay a release, because
honestly, this whole program is a big beautiful muddy wad of half-finished
features, and it always has been and it always will be, and I wouldn't have
it any other way ;)

I think we have actually been doing a pretty good job of keeping the
nightly wip versions safe and stable, keeping the unfinished stuff more or
less comfined to the "spam" menu, so I think this change is pretty low-risk.

Thoughts?