[Ohrrpgce] linux nightly builds plans

James Paige Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
Wed Feb 22 10:15:51 PST 2017

So making a binary that works across multiple Linux distributions is
apparently way harder than I previously assumed.

Our linux nightlies are build on Debian Jessie

These binaries definitely don't work on either Ubuntu 14.04 or  Ubuntu
16.04, and I suspect they have problems on other Ubuntus, but I don't know
which ones.

I know that our Debian Jessie nightlies DO work on Steam (or at least they
did last time I checked), even on Ubuntu 14.04, and I think that is simply
because Steam itself takes care of providing copies of the necessary
versions of libc.

Right now I am thinking of the possibility of distributing multiple Linux
binaries for different distros. I think doing this via a few VMs would
probably be reasonable-- and certainly easier than figuring out
cross-distro cross-compiling.