[Ohrrpgce] Odd battle caption behaviour

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 17:46:20 PDT 2017

On 29 April 2017 at 04:37, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 29 April 2017 at 03:07, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

>>> Some kind of visual debugger for the sequence of delayed events sounds
>>> like it would be very useful. That is what I had in mind when I was making
>>> the F11 attack queue debugger, but I did not take it far enough to be
>>> useful for much other than attach chain delays
>>>

>> I was actually thinking of something in the editor, but an in-game view
>> would also be good/better

>>> I like that idea!
>>>

>> Which one?
>>

> Just the idea of animation sync points in general :)

>>> Hmmm... I think that keeping up the caption while victory messages
>>> display is reasonable. It will be the right thing to do most of the time,
>>> and even if it isn't, it will just be cosmetic, and never game-breaking.
>>> Maybe we can have a per-attack bitset to clear the caption on victory if
>>> anybody asks for it.
>>>

>> I think a caption during victory wouldn't be strange or unwanted, as long
>> as it disappears soon. Does any game actually use long caption times? I
>> can't think of any reason to have a caption last more than a few seconds,
>> other than to annoy... or perhaps for a slow countdown.
>> I think I would cap the caption time to about 2-3 more seconds once
>> victory is triggered.
>>

> That would be reasonable.
>

>> Hmm, delaying the end of battle on victory is one thing, but when the
>> player loses a battle the screen fades out immediately once the animation
>> is done. I actually like that it's so sudden, although missing captions can
>> be annoying. So I'm still a bit cautious about changing it.
>>

> I often feel like death goes too quick, and I am sometimes left wondering
> what killed me-- but that is probably a job for a separate feature, like a
> simple option for a global delay after death-in-battle, or maybe an option
> to change the speed of the death fade (do we even have any custom-length
> fades yet anywhere?)

Well, I often feel like that too; I guess I'm just so used to being
surprised by death that I came to accept it on its own merits :) I guess
it's not really something that needs to be preserved; but I was only
talking about attacks with captions that pause. A separate option to ensure
a minimum pause before death fade out would be good (and could be
initialised to something larger than 0).

Still not even an argument for fade length