[Ohrrpgce] New git-svn bridge

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 04:11:49 PST 2016

I am pleased to announce a new git import of the ohrrpgce svn repo.

At last, this git-svn mirror contains the full svn history (no longer
missing the first 424 commits), all release branches, as well as the web/
and tools/ directories (which are treated as separate git branches). games/
is still excluded. Further, I spliced a copy of the source from 2000 before
the beginning of history, and for fun spliced in the history of the fbohr
repo (woven together with merges which I manually identified).

Further, I've set up a cron job to update the mirror every 20 minutes,
which means it probably sees changes before the svn commit email reaches
the mailing list :)

For now I've put the mirror at https://bitbucket.org/rbv/ohrrpgce-svn but
it could instead be put under a team/organisation account on bitbucket or
github.

For details see:
http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Git#The_OHRRPGCE_git-svn_mirror

This new import was not necessitated by the svn move, but was precipitated
by it. The commit history has been rewritten. I actually figured out that I
could easily add all the release branches, and even graft the additional
history onto the beginning without changing any commit hashes (using "git
replace" refs), but I decided to take the opportunity to clean things up a
little since noone but me is using git, and rewriting history doesn't
affect me much (my branches have to be rebased anyway).

Unfortunately you can't checkout tools/ or web/ without the contents of
wip/ disappearing; the best way around that is to use multiple local
repositories (which can internally share the data store, although it's only
37MB anyway).

Anyone can seamlessly mix fetching from the mirror with reading/writing the
svn repo directly via git-svn.

git is now a complete replacement for svn except for when I want to spy on
James' game development :)