[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/7792 Fix Select slices updating child visibility when drawing instead of refr

James Paige Bob at HamsterRepublic.com
Tue Mar 15 07:08:27 PDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 1:52 AM, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 15 March 2016 at 03:30, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 8:05 PM, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> teeemcee
> >> 2016-03-12 20:05:27 -0800 (Sat, 12 Mar 2016)
> >> 1750
> >> Fix Select slices updating child visibility when drawing instead of
> >> refreshing
> >>
> >> This change affects when a script will see up-to-date visibility of
> select
> >> child slices. You still need to do something to cause the slice to be
> >> refreshed.
> >> This also affects "slice at pixel" and "find colliding slice" called
> with
> >> visibleonly=true.
> >>
> >> ChildRefresh is now called even on non-visible slices by DrawSlice, but
> it
> >> takes an additional visibleonly argument to skip refreshing the size and
> >> position in that case. This is both to avoid unneeded processing for
> >> hidden
> >> slices and to exactly match the previous behaviour for non-select slices
> >> (although I really hope noone is relying on the size of hidden slices
> not
> >> being
> >> updated!)
> >

> > I know I am not worried. All of my invisible-slice-voodoo is using
> container
> > slices, not selects.
>
> It took me a moment to work out what you mean, but you must mean
> storing data as the width and height of a slice. I actually had not
> thought of that, but it is a very good reason why it wouldn't have
> been safe to start refreshing hidden slices that previously weren't. I
> see the slice system as a whole as highly delicate, where changes are
> likely to break backcompat, unfortunately.

Yeah, I phrased that really badly :)

I use width and height as data for hidden slices all the time, but never in
situations where those heights would be auto-updated if the slice was
visible.The hidden data slice is never set to fill, and it is only ever
parented to a rect, sprite, or container, not to any of the child-shaping
slice types.