[Ohrrpgce] vehicle sorting

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 02:44:51 PDT 2016

On 8 June 2016 at 06:19, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
> So when Heroes and NPCs are in the same layer, and the player mounts a
> vehicle that does not hide the leader, the sorting order is only correct
> half the time.
>
> A currently mounted vehicle should always be behind a hero sprite with the
> same Y value.
>
> That layer is currently slAutoSortY
>
> I am wondering if it is better to set it to slAutoSortCustom, with a loop in
> refresh_walkabout_layer_sort() that manually sets the correct sort order for
> all walkabouts, or if I should create a new magical slAutoSortWalkabouts and
> code the special rules in there.

I certainly wouldn't add a special sort mode for vehicles. The easy
way to special case the correct sorting behaviour: in
update_walkabout_npc_slices(), move the vehicle NPC slice to be the
last of its siblings (before sorting), or alternatively move the hero
slice(s) to the front (the latter may fix some other undesired
layering too). Doesn't this affect all heroes while
mounting/dismounting, not just the leader?

This reminds me that we haven't yet added script commands to get or
set the slice autosort setting, although it's accessible in the slice
editor.