[Ohrrpgce] SVN: teeemcee/7703 email_save_to_developer, only works on Android. Requires 770bfd5 of sdl-

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 09:56:45 PST 2016

OK, I've fixed emailing, tested it with both gmail and the stock Android
email client, committed my changes to all three repositories, and split my
changes in sdl-android into the ohrrpgce and sdl_android branches.
You will need to run "changeAppSettings.sh -a" after pulling the latest
copy of sdl-android.

BTW, I'm no longer using the sdl-android build.sh script to build apks, but
only to build the binaries which I then copy over to ohrrpgce-android. And
I never did try packaging an apk with custom icons, etc. although I think
you did document it. So I don't know if I've broken anything on that side.
But I haven't added any of the missing functionality to ohrrpgce-android
yet.

Do you realise we now use FIVE build systems for Android? Scons,
ohrrpgce-android, ndk-build, ant, sdl-android's build.sh. Plus I spent I
lot of time with FB's build system too. Having both ohrrpgce-android and
sdl-android is becoming VERY painful because there is a lot of duplication
between them: all the java files and all the misc data files, which
actually are not always identical, and the duplicate build systems. I have
been copying files and modification back and forth all evening. I wasted
hours just figuring out how to make the java and AndroidManifest.xml files
in both projects as close as possible.

We don't need to do anything in the sdl-android directory except compile
binaries with the NDK, would would allow removing all the redundancy.
However, splitting the C code into a different repository from everything
would not make complete sense, as there's interdependency between the java
and C SDL code (it's a small interface though). Being able to merge
upstream changes from sdl-android would also be good, but moving all of the
ohrrpgce-specific work into the ohrrpgce-android project would make merges
painful. But also not locking ourselves into SDL 1.2 instead of 2.0 would
be good. I'm really not sure how to handle this, but it seems like all of
our goals are hindered by mixing heaps of non-SDL-related code four-fold
into the sdl-android port's C code, java code, build system and data files.

So:
-java and C files should be in the same repo
-AndroidManifest.xml, etc, config and data files should be in the same repo
as java
-The build system should be in the same repo as all the config files
-We don't want two copies of anything unless they can just be symlinked
-The sdl-android build system adds a lot of complexity and is a hinderance
to customising things directly

This looks a lot to me like we should move ohrrpgce-android and sdl-android
into the same repository, replacing the sdl-android build system. And maybe
we should simply not worry too much about changes to upstream sdl-android
(after 3 years we have never merged their changes yet, almost all of which
are specific to porting other programs).

And it seems probable that scons could handle compiling the OHR itself as
well (invoking ndk-build), though I guess that won't be much more
convenient than how we currently compile.

On 2 February 2016 at 20:20, Ralph Versteegen <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, do "git remote -v" in the git repo to find out what name you've
> assigned to my repository. It will probably be "origin" if you cloned my
> repository in the first place. Then do "git pull <remotename> ohrrpgce" to
> fetch my changes and merge into yours (actually fast forward in this case
> where there seems to be nothing to merge).
>
> BTW, in git you would normally delete a branch after merging it into
> another (git branch -d <name>), otherwise you end up with mountains of
> historical branches as you have. So the name of the branch only gets
> recorded (by default) in the commit message for the merge commit. On the
> other hand in hg every commit permanently records the name of the branches
> it was part of. The hg equivalent of a branch in git is actually called a
> bookmark.
>
> However, it looks like I'll have to make futher changes to the java code.
>

> On 2 February 2016 at 04:19, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>
>> I was going to test the fixes to the battle stack on Android, but I can
>> no longer compile the android port. I assume this is because "Requires
>> 770bfd5 of sdl-android" but I only just barely understand what that means.
>>
>> I am guessing that 770bfd5 identifies a commit in your git tree for
>> sdl-android.
>>
>> I searched around on your guthub page and found it here:
>> https://github.com/rversteegen/commandergenius/commits/ohrrpgce
>>
>> ...Although I have no idea how to merge it into my own tree
>>
>> /home/james/misc/android-ndk-r8d/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/prebuilt/linux-x86/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-linux-androideabi/4.6/../../../../arm-linux-androideabi/bin/ld:
>> warning: hidden symbol '__cxa_begin_cleanup' in
>> ./obj/local/armeabi/libgnustl_static.a(eh_arm.o) is referenced by DSO
>> ./obj/local/armeabi/libsdl-1.2.so
>> /home/james/misc/android-ndk-r8d/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/prebuilt/linux-x86/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-linux-androideabi/4.6/../../../../arm-linux-androideabi/bin/ld:
>> warning: hidden symbol '__cxa_type_match' in
>> ./obj/local/armeabi/libgnustl_static.a(eh_arm.o) is referenced by DSO
>> ./obj/local/armeabi/libsdl-1.2.so
>> /home/james/misc/android-ndk-r8d/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/prebuilt/linux-x86/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-linux-androideabi/4.6/../../../../arm-linux-androideabi/bin/ld:
>> ./obj/local/armeabi/objs-debug/application/ohrrpgce/tmp/game-allmodex.o: in
>> function
>> EMAIL_FILES:jni/../jni/application/ohrrpgce/tmp/game-allmodex.c:12918:
>> error: undefined reference to 'SDL_ANDROID_EmailFiles'
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make: *** [obj/local/armeabi/libapplication.so] Error 1
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 4:35 AM, <subversion at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>>
>>> teeemcee
>>> 2016-02-01 04:35:06 -0800 (Mon, 01 Feb 2016)