[Ohrrpgce] .dmg format for Distribute Game on Mac

Keith Gable ziggythehamster at outlook.com
Wed Jul 8 15:33:35 PDT 2015

As a Mac user and developer who uses OS X exclusively, I almost never use
the Mac App Store.

Here’s what I’d find acceptable:

1. A ZIP file with an .app inside it. Drag the .app to Applications on
your own. I believe GitHub.app is distributed this way.
2. A DMG with an .app inside it. Also include a symlink to /Applications
so you do less work to install.
3. A .pkg either inside a DMG or not.

It would be weird if you put a DMG or ISO in a .ZIP file. I would think
whoever is distributing this package doesn’t know what they’re doing.

Knowing some of the historical bits of the OHRRPGCE, I think making an
Installer package would be the better way to go, as you could make the
Installer package keep the engine in a shared location so the .apps
themselves are smaller or less complicated. ~/Library/Application
Support/OHRRPGCE/Engines/version for example. I also don’t know if the
OHRRPGCE generates .apps or not. If not, then start there. It’s totally
acceptable to generate a .app and then ZIP that up…but if you’re expecting
me to double-click a shell script to launch the game, that’s not right. :)