[Ohrrpgce] .dmg format for Distribute Game on Mac

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 08:52:51 PDT 2015

I had actually forgotten about the compression, so I've been looking into
it.

I was surprised to see on the man page for mkisofs that it can create HFS
(not HFS+) file system images, because those are used by Apple for CDs.
The .dmg file format is called UDIF, which is a wrapper around a file
system image which may be HFS/HFS+, FAT, and so on. The HFS+ file system
itself seems to be fairly well supported in Linux. Unfortunately the
compression of an .dmg is added by UDIF, not HFS (though HFS also supports
compression). And UDIF is undocumented and there are almost no 3rd party
tools for dealing with it (I only saw ones for reading, not writing); the
best I could find was http://newosxbook.com/DMG.html

I don't think .dmg.zip would make much sense (Why not just use .zip?) even
if it were true that OSX magically accepts .isos.