[Ohrrpgce] Distribute menu Linux tarball

James Paige Bob at HamsterRepublic.com
Mon Jul 6 13:23:58 PDT 2015

So today I was reading some docs about Steam for Linux, and trying to
figure out what files are needed.

That reminded me of an earlier idea that had fallen by the wayside, which
was to allow export of a Linux Tarball equivalent to the Windows Zip from
the DIstribute menu.

Superficially it should be pretty simple. It just needs include a renamed
copy of the ohrrpgce-game executable, and exclude the .dll files that are
normally in the windows zip.

What about libraries? All we really need is SDL and SDL_mixer. Is it
reasonable to just let people deal with that themselves? Like "If you are
downloading a linux tarball, you already know how to install SDL and would
resent any attempts I make to bundle it?"

Is it reasonable to dump a copy of libSDL.so and libSDL_mixer.so into the
same folder? I think that works?

Is trying to build a statically linked Linux executable worth the effort?

I think I will take a stab at the very simplest implementation of this (the
don't bother with libraries approach), and we can refine it later.

Also, once I get some feedback from The Wobbler and from Meatballsub about
how their experiences with putting C.Kane and Ruin on Steam progress, I
would like to think about a Distribute Menu option like "Export Steam
Depot" or something along those lines