[Ohrrpgce] [ohrrpgce:bugs] #2010 String entry (hero renaming) does not work on recent Android updates

TeeEmCee teeemcee at users.sf.net
Mon Apr 6 08:31:20 PDT 2015

Apparently there are some issue with the onscreen keyboard in Android 5 (which don't look like what you reported), and they probably made some changes to the keyboard in 5.0.1, but there are as many people claiming that that made things worse as those that say it helped.
Eg https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=80637

A couple months ago I was looking at the onscreen keyboard code in sdl-android. It's really an awful mess, confounded by the design of the Android keyboard API. I wouldn't be at all surprised that "The virtual keyboard also frequently fails to close." The sdl-android function to say whether the onscreen keyboard is visible is broken. For that reason gfx_sdl tries to remember what the state is itself rather than call that function, but I'm surprised that workaround works.

However, we've forked sdl-android, and there have been a lot of changes upstream. I looked especially at upstream changes to the onscreen keyboard, and say they did some significant cleaning up, and a crucial function was rewritten, so I'd guess at least the visibility state bug is fixed.

It would be good to merge the upstream changes (there are various improvements and new features), but it's going to be nontrivial, there are various conflicts and some stuff will have to be rewritten.

---

** [bugs:#2010] String entry (hero renaming) does not work on recent Android updates**

**Status:** open
**Milestone:** OHRRPGCE
**Created:** Mon Apr 06, 2015 02:20 PM UTC by Bob the Hamster
**Last Updated:** Mon Apr 06, 2015 02:20 PM UTC
**Owner:** Bob the Hamster

I discovered yesterday that the string entry via virtual keyboard on Android does not work at all on Android 5.0.1

It worked okay on the version I first tested it on (which I think was 5.0.0)

The virtual keyboard opens up, but most of the buttons do nothing, and the few that have any effect produce ? characters. The virtual keyboard also frequently fails to close.

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because ohrrpgce at lists.motherhamster.org is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/ohrrpgce/bugs/