[Ohrrpgce] Android port

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 18:28:10 PDT 2013

On 6 June 2013 02:19, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 10:58:28PM +1200, Ralph Versteegen wrote:
>> Wow, thanks for the help, I didn't actually mean to ask you to perform
>> all those tests :)
>>
>> I only saw garbage on startup in an emulator with hardware (host)
>> accelerated OpenGL enabled, but none on my device (which has no GPU)
>> or an emulator without it. So I thought it might be specific to an
>> (emulated) GPU being available rather than whether or not it's running
>> on an emulator.
>>
>> We normally test interactivetest.rpg using the
>> testgame/interactivetest.ohrkeys recorded input file, which is fed in
>> with a commandline argument. Since being able to specify commandline
>> arguments would be quite useful I just added the ability to do so
>> (though I haven't tested it under android). You should be able to
>> place a file called ohrrpgce_arguments.txt in the
>> com.hamsterrepublic.ohrrpgce.game/files/ directory. (Is this directory
>> always on the SD card, or will it be there only if the app is
>> installed on the SD card? And I don't see where the app binary files
>> are...
>
> As far as I understand, yes, this directory will always exist, although
> the exact location might vary. In Android terminology, /sdcard does
> *not* refer to an actual removable SD card, it refers to user-writable
> storage, which may or may not be a removable SD card depending on device
> implementation (usually not, as far as I have seen)

My own phone has "internal storage", an "internal SD card"
(/data/HWUserData) and a removable SD card (/sdcard). There is no
Android folder for app files in /data/HWUserData however. It hadn't
occurred to me that some devices (tablets?) wouldn't have a removable
SD card. I tried removing my microSD card, and sure enough /sdcard
disappears. I had the OHR installed on internal storage, so I could
launch it, but it crashes. SDL tries to set the working directory to a
nonexistent directory:
I/libSDL  (  428): Changing curdir to
"/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.hamsterrepublic.ohrrpgce.game/files"

As a result, the actual working directory is /, which causes lots of
errors (and death by File Not Found in findfiles :)

I had forgotten that all the ported SDL programs I tried wouldn't run
until I bought and installed a microSD card. However I think we can
get by without requiring one. Even on my phone there is 75MB of space
available in /cache (the total internal storage seems to be about
600MB, split into quite a few partitions including the "internal SD
card").

>> To compile Custom, just specific 'custom' instead of 'game' when
>> invoking scons. This didn't work before, I just fixed that. Tried it
>> out now, compiled and ran fine. But the app will still be called
>> OHRRPGCE Game. I guess we probably don't want to seriously package
>> Custom for android, so that at least saves the hassle of multiple
>> project directories and config files. (But what about packaging
>> individual games?)
>
> Ideally, I would like for people to be able to export their game as an
> android apk from the Distribute Games menu. They would have to install
> the Android SDK, and they would have to create their own signing key on
> google play and specify its location to the distribute game settings.
>
> Then the Distribute menu could download a pre-built unsigned binary of
> the OHRRPGCE Game apk. it would add the game to it, add a user-specified
> icon (I want that for Windows and Mac too, but that is beside the point)
> and then sign it with their key, ready to upload to the play store.
>
> Of course, We also need to be able to change the package name to
> something other than com.hamsterrepublic.ohrrpgce.game so I don't know
> how practical that will be to do with a pre-built binary.

I think we should also allow exporting non-signed .apks without
requiring the SDK to be installed, so that people can at least try out
their game on their own phone. An .apk is mostly just a .zip, however
it also seems to have an alignment requirement for file chunks, which
would probably require a separate utility.

Actually, if you look at build.sh and sign.sh in sdl-android, it seems
that only two utilities are needed for putting together and signing an
.apk: jarsigner and zipalign. zipalign is part of the Android project,
while jarsigner is a Java utility. Maybe we could distribute jarsigner
too.

> For people who don't have their own domain name, we can provide a
> namespace like com.hamsterrepublic.ohrrpgce.games.gamename but I would
> also like to allow people to specify their own namespaces, so for your
> own game, tmc, you might choose to use
> com.castleparadox.tmc.foresttemple or maybe Mogri would want to use
> com.slimesalad.phantomtactics or Harlock might use
> org.crithit.spellshard

Is there any point to allowing customisation of namespace? I think it
just has to be unique, eg a com.hamsterrepublic.ohrrpgce.games.
prefix.
I see that the Android documentation says "To avoid conflicts with
other developers, you should use Internet domain ownership as the
basis for your package names (in reverse)."