[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/3927 Backport the fix for text box instead-chaining bug 824 to the ypsiliform

James Paige Bob at HamsterRepublic.com
Mon Oct 25 10:34:54 PDT 2010

> >> OK... so how soon? I had better delay the textslice/textbox rewrite
> >> until afterwards, but I could
>
> Opps.
>
> > I can make a release candidate this afternoon. I think the nightlies are
> > pretty stable right now.
>
> What!! I was imagining something more like "a week or two".

Just cause I could make an RC today doesn't mean I don't think a week or
two is the right amount of time.

Besides. My process for creating an RC is to temporarily change
codename.txt and build a quick nightly ;)

[but I am not going to do an RC today, see below]

> gfx_direct is not stable and it still has at least one input bug. And
> this is really short notice to release it considering Jay just made a
> major change to input handling yesterday!

Yeah, but if I call it an RC I bet it will get a lot of testing, so when
we release in a week or two, we can do so with confidence.

> Some other stuff I'd like to see in before the release:
> -This HSpeak stuff I'm finally finishing off after 6 months
> dramatically improves in-game error messages, reporting the line
> number. We should include that.
> -The zone editor really needs a tool to draw rectangles!
> -A few more simple zone features and commands
> -I'd love to see Mac support be stable in time for Zenzizenic. That
> doesn't mean that we have to have nightlies working by then, just the
> last few things sorted out (like running HSpeak via Custom), and more
> testing.
> -A configuration menu might be a good idea, so that people can easily
> select their graphics backend, zoom, and other options. But isn't that
> small a project, and I do have exams within the week.
> -Stop writing .SAV files?

Okay, with all that, I am thinking a quick release is a bad idea after
all. Maybe we should take our time and not rush it. I don't need to put
out an RC today.

> ... and I do have exams within the week.

I love the fact that you are working on the OHR at all on exams week!
You obviously love the OHR as much if not more than I do :)

This leads me back to the posibility of a quick ypsiliform+3 release.

1) Ypsiliform branch already has a few good important simple safe bug
fixes.
2) Releasing it can only be an improvement for those users who don't
want to use nightlies and insist on sticking with stable releases.
3) Even if we don't backport any other fixes, see point 2

> > Hmmm... I was checking out the filename quoting problem, and it seems
> > correct already. Maybe the quoting is being messed up by some crazyness
> > of SHELL?
>
> Actually, cmd.exe craziness.

Yes, Wow. I saw your patch.

"""name of executable.exe"" arg arg "argument with spaces in it" arg"

Crazy!