[Ohrrpgce] SVN: james/3927 Backport the fix for text box instead-chaining bug 824 to the ypsiliform

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 22:14:03 PDT 2010

On 25 October 2010 10:46, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:17:12AM +1300, Ralph Versteegen wrote:
>> >
>> > Can anybody think of a reason not to release ypsiliform+3 right now?
>> >
>> > There are some good bugfixes in there, and we can always do ypsiliform+4
>> > when we resolve the ogg and mp3 import/convert bugs.
>> >
>> > ---
>> > James Paige
>>
>> Wow, I'd thought we gave up on Ypsiliform+3.
>> There are lots of other bugfixes in wip, so shouldn't they be
>> backported too? It's a bit cruel to withhold them from people isn't
>> it?
>> But instead of doing that, why not just release Zenzizenic soon? It's
>> been a year since the last major release!
>
> I like that even better :)

OK... so how soon? I had better delay the textslice/textbox rewrite
until afterwards, but I could

>> Also, the gfx_sdl import bug shouldn't too hard to fix, and the other
>> import bug is pretty trivial.
>
> What is the other one?
>
> ---
> James

As explained on bugzilla there are two bugs: the one which causes
conversion to fail, which is just a filename quoting problem, and the
one which sometimes causes gfx_sdl to lose all sense of the keyboard
state (especially when conversion fails?), which is somehow caused by
opening madplay/oggenc in a foreground terminal window with SHELL. I
think that one's fixable by just using alternative platform specific
spawning commands instead of SHELL. SHELL does some crazy stuff, and I
noticed that the Unix implementation is also buggy: it leaks file
descriptors, and it looks like a giant hack which I would rather
avoid.