[Ohrrpgce] better palette options

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 21:17:02 PDT 2010

On 8 October 2010 12:14, Jeremy Bursey <zippywings at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm only subscribed to the mailing digest, not the individual alerts, so I
> have to cut and paste those comments related to the palette discussion I
> introduced last night. Hopefully this doesn't come out all messy.
>
>>Did james modify my palette in that way? I know he changed it slightly
>> before
>>installing as the new default. That's a shame if so; I specifically
>> designed
>>it to not waste a single entry.
>
> The game I'm updating actually started 10 years ago on the old palette, so I
> am using most of the original colors. I just had to move all my yellows to
> the
> top row to make room for all my "sand" tiles. So that's the specific issue
> I'm
> facing. At the moment, using my updated palette turns all the UI colors
> yellow.
>
> I'd like to use yours at some point, actually, but the time it would take me
> to convert 160 palettes, 300 backdrops, over 1,000 sprites, and so on to the
> compatable colors would cause me unthinkable pain, and I'm not ready to take
> that plunge yet. An update to how palettes are handled would certainly make
> the effort more desirable.
>
>>Truecolor would actually be much easier to implement, and simpler,than the
>>current system. Though some things would be unavoidably slower.In any case,
>>we would need such code in order to display >256 colors total onscreen.
>
> That's the part that made me question whether this was worth discussing.
>
>>have you seen
>>http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Plan_for_256_color_sprites
>
> I have, actually. But it was my understanding that this was still light
> years
> away from becoming reality, if it was ever meant to become reality.

Not at all. That page is just quiet because there are quite a few
plans on the wiki that need to be grouped together under a more
comprehensive plan.

Actually I would start on this graphics stuff in the next couple of
weeks, but maybe I should work on the script interpreter instead. And
there's a bunch of map editor, zones, and textbox rewrite stuff to
finish first.