[Ohrrpgce] Proposed port to c++

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 23:03:37 PST 2009

2009/1/28 Jay Tennant <hierandel8 at crazyleafgames.com>:

> A proposed reconstruction of the OHRRPGCE and Game. Code will be C++, though
> plugins won't have to be. System will follow object-oriented design.
> Proposed modules:
> File IO
> Plotscript
> Window
> Graphic Renderer
> Surfaces (most everything is a surface, and surfaces may be rendered
> differently in different OS's, etc.)
> Audio Renderer
> Human Interface Devices
> {
>     Mouse
>     Keyboard
>     Other
> }
> Game Editor
> Game Player
> Network (in case of multiplayer, or streaming file IO over a network, or
> streaming other modules?)
>
> What adjustments to this proposal would you make? What other modules would
> you add? Which would you remove?
> D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
> http://www.doteasy.com

Oh, I guess you didn't quite realise that OHR++, a rewrite in C++ by
John Spann (Inferior Minion) has already has a good amount of work
done on it (eg textboxes and NPC partially work) and is probably just
what you imagine - it's split into classes largely like you describe.
There's also a page on the wiki, I'm not sure how up to date it is:
http://gilgamesh.dnsalias.org:8080/wiki/ohrrpgce/index.php/OHR%2B%2B
The big difference is that OHR++ is to be just a replacement for Game,
not Custom (I think?)

So you should have a look at OHR++'s design and code - would be rather
wasteful to start yet again, wouldn't it ;)

The rewrite of the script interpreter I mentioned started by me
offering to write the script interpreter for OHR++. Now we've planned
to add lots of features to HamsterSpeak using this rewrite, and I
intend to make it the interpreter for both projects. (There's also an
inprogress and playable Java port of the OHR, and Seth has planned the
interpreter for it in amazing detail. The project page is
http://gilgamesh.dnsalias.org:8080/wiki/ohrrpgce/index.php/OHRRPGCEFMF)

Incidentally, I did start experiementing with creating a GUI version
of Custom (using FyreWulff's 'aero' prototype as inspiration) by using
wxwidgets in a new C++ graphics backend and rewriting or upgrading
menus one at time. Did you say you have any experience with GUIs?
However, I paused on it, realised that it would be a better idea to
use Python instead of C++ since half of everyone around here is a
Python fanatic. But probably there would still be a lot of C++ glue
code in the system.

Opps I've really started ranting on my favourite topic - wishful
thinking - again.